Monday, July 14, 2014

Summer Anime 2014 Ep 1/2 two cents thoughts

This post is going to be a collection of my two cents comments about the first episode of some Summer Anime that I have watched. You may agree or disagree with me, but I'm not asking you to agree with everything.

Just to clarify, I watched all the titles without reading the manga unless otherwise mentioned.

more warnings:
lots of stupid fangirlings and maybe incoherent sentences
and obviously major spoilers. 
Also, this is a lengthy post so please take your time.




1. Tokyo Ghoul
The opening was gruesome yet awesome and it reminded me of Hannibal when Rize was indulging in her raw human steaks. Gross shit yet so dark and entertaining. Then we moved on to our nerdy lead who falls for a pretty woman and turns out she's a ghoul who's going to eat him. Quite predictable because anyone pretty is evil! So when he died, it was quite obvious that he's going to survive somehow, like I was expecting his inner ghoul to be awakened and be some super power dude, but it turns out he had an organ transplant from the ghoul who tried to eat him and she lives in his conscious, enticing him to chew on human steak. Gross stuff, but I was hoping that when he's awake, he turns out to be a ghoul buster/eating ghouls instead.

Oh we also have a pretty badass female Toka who guides Kaneki into the proper life of a ghoul and i have no idea why dark animes like to have their story central around bars. Take Catherine. Toka reminds me of Catherine and master is like that old man in Tokyo Ghoul. At the end of episode 2, it seems Hide found out about Kaneki being a ghoul. I have no idea though, up to this point, what might happen later on. I may or may not read the manga but I'm trying to resist so I can enjoy the animation!

2. Akame ga kill
Every shounen anime will always have a female lead with long black hair being so badass. Okay, usually it ranges between black-yellow-red and I have no idea why. The country bumpkin is really stupid to trust people in the city though. It happens in real life too! At most just asks directions but never ever hand money. So he was pretty dumb. I think the people in night raid is pretty cool, especially akame and that yellow neko lady. I like how he is being roped in to join their quest; breaking into the wealthy's storage and kill them all. Kinda like the magi arc don't cha think? The overall quest groupie reminded me of Brave 10. I have only watched episode 1 so far so I have nothing much to comment. Again, I will read the manga soon.

3. Haikyuu!!
BOY OH BOY I think i can talk about kageyama for 3 days 2 nights and I will not be done. After 5minutes into the show I think I started going crazy over kageyama that a 24minute episode took me about 45minutes because I was fangirling so hard.

I generally like sports anime, but not as much as mecha. I enjoy the bromance in sports anime and every pairing in this series is just so "married". god damn it. I tried getting into kurobasu, i left the fandom after awhile. I think i didnt like how they drew them all sweaty and i just dont have interest in basketball. Prince of Tennis is still my absolutely favorite probably because I like cocky characters like Ryoma Echizen and geniuses like him and kageyama. I tried my best not to cross reference to PoT but sometimes the characters resemble too much! is this a sports anime thing?

Haikyuu isn't so overly exaggerated like PoT where they have crazy weird superhuman powers which can make them fly to the other end of the stadium with just one tennis ball (????) compared to Haikyuu which is more sane. I read the manga and I prefer the manga because the anime is too draggy. The transition is too slow. They focused too much on the development they completed forgotten about the the matches. One thing for sure I enjoyed the funny moments in Haikyuu:




When I first started out Haikyuu, i have no knowledge on volleyball and thanks to my endless hyped over kageyama, i picked up one or two and i'm going to look forward to Incheon Asian Games! I'm going to rope more friends into the fandom and i already found more people who are already crazy over this title!

P.S I am still trying to find my kageyama jersey!!!


4. Sailor Moon Crystal
I already did a post earlier on here  you can check it out. I am just sad that this will only air twice in a month :"(


5. Zankyou no Terror
I caught the first episode and I love the music! Did a check and it was Yoko Kanno and then i remembered this was the anime that had the entire Cowboy Bebop crew! This plot is focused on terrorism in modern Tokyo and how they managed to get an outcasted high school girl to be an accomplice. While watching the entire episode 1, I was quite confused because I didn't know what was going on. Why are they called Twelve and Nine? Were they from a secret organization (turns out they are not), why are they terrorism in the country?

I think it's cool that two "high schoolers" can managed to carry such large scale bombing in the city, causing the top of the building to collapse. It's crazy, it's epic, but I like it. Left me hanging and wondering what might happen. it's like a ?????????? feeling. You dont know what is happening. Maybe it's just me but I like how it is weird! The art is quite old school so it is something new. For young people born in the late 90s and above, I think this is a good chance to know more about old school anime! Apart from watching Sailor Moon.

Oh, I am naturally attracted to megane-kun, especially when they are a tsundere/kuudere so when i went to google Arata Kokonoe's seiyuu, turns out it's the new seiyuu who voiced KAGEYAMA TOBIO. But his voice needs a bit more originality because it's very similar to another seiyuu.


6. Love Stage!!
Warning: This title is BL.

THIS. ANIME. IS. ABSOLUTELY. ADORABLE.
I read the manga and watching this animated is just too adorable!! Episode 1 took me about 30 minutes to finish because Izumi is sooooo cute and pretty and Rei was being the mean onii-chan while shouho is that overly brother complex onii-chan! Then there was Ichijou Ryoma who slain me with his sparkles and his crush on Izumi and the final kiss at the end of the wedding commercial just left me *keyboard smashing* It's been a long time since they had a BL anime so apart from love stage, people were expecting dmmd to be exciting too! But I think I'll just stick to love stage!


7. Ao Haru Ride
Let me ask you a question. When was the last time you squealed so hard over a shoujo anime? I don't usually watch shoujo because I typically hate to watch romance anime except a few of my favorite mangas who gets adaptation. When S.A first get confirmed for anime, i got so hyped up but the anime sucks. Same as VK. (i think this might be why i dont like DEEN)

The opening of the anime was the art. BEAUTIFUL WATER COLORED ILLUSTRATIONS. Then there was middle school futaba and kou who were so adorable (but i really didn't like the seiyuu) and i was still pretty calm, just a bit jumpy, but calm. When we moved on to the high school arc, futaba looks so cute and when someone called 'TANAKA' and it turns out to be kou's brother, i started screaming because tanaka sensei is already so hot. He's the big brother and Kou hasn't appeared yet! Then when futaba bumped into Kou, that was it. I lost my sanity. I started screenshot-ing and squealing, doing facepalms, curled my toes, gripped the sides of my chair and fangirl over the whole cheesy moments. My sister who was watching with me gave me weird looks and even said, "WHAT THE HELL?"




A moment of silence for myself.

A SMILING KOU. I was beyond control I started spamming one of my girl friends and she was "omg omg" and decided to watch it. She likes Japanese guys, but she's not an otaku. 10minutes into episode 1 she was spamming my phone with incoherent words, only going "omgomgomgomgomgomg" LOLOLOL it's hilarious because KOU IS SO HOT.

YEAH I READ THE MANGA, I COLLECT THE MANGA, I LOVE IO SAKISAKA SENSEI <3 I didn't even fangirl so hard over Strobe Edge!

I am still waiting for episode 2 to come out. I love the pace of the anime. It's just nice and leaves you a warm feeling. It will make you think back about your high school days and leaves you funny. You might want to travel back in time to find your Mabuchi Kou.

8. Free! Eternal Summer
-to be filled-


9. Kuroshitsuji : Book of circus
I need to do a separate post regarding kuroshitsuji because I really hate it when people say book of circus is a sequel to season 2. IT IS NOT. I REPEAT, IT IS NOT. Though on sites you say Book of circus is a sequel, if you follow Kuroshitsuji's timeline, Book of Circus falls in halfway of Season 1.

Book of circus started off with a recap of how Ciel acquired Sebastian and overall of episode 1 started off quite dark. Less comical and fan service compared to the first two seasons. This time round they managed to stay close to the original storyline which is great in my opinion and they should continue to stick to it. Even if they prefer to skip some areas or switch around, as long as they don't go off and do a complete standalone then I'm fine.

As usual, we will never leave out Tanaka-san's tea drinking moment, mey-rin's stupidness, Finny's overconfidence, and Bard's use of military weapons. Sebastian is as always loyal to Ciel and the only BL-ish part which every fangirl waits for is the bed scene heehee.


"yes, my lord~"

Lau made an appearance in the first episode and it made me happy that he still sides with Ciel compared to bastards out there. 

Let's talk about music. SID is definitely still the best rock band for kuroshitsuji and monochrome kiss still rings in my head whenever people mentiones. Gazette was great in the second season, but Mao's voice is more suited to Sebastian somehow. Must be the influenced of Monochrome kiss. Probably because I heard Mao sing monochrome kiss live~

The ending part of episode 1? WE HAVE JOKER SNAKE UNDERTAKER and the rest of the circus crew! I'm excited for episode 2 even though I already know the story. 



10. Rail wars
-to be filled-


11. Barakamon
I am probably going to say this is the Best underrated summer anime of 2014. If you ask what's a summer anime should be, this totally depicts a summer holiday. Barakamon gives you the laid back peaceful feel and more importantly, learn life values through a cute little girl called Naru!

 Handa is a narcissistic numbskull tsundere meets people from the village to find his style of calligraphy.



This anime is quite like Summer nude, usagi-drop, and other country life anime/drama you see out there. I personally like this anime because of traditional elements, just like chihayafuru. Handa Sei(shuu) is voiced by Daisuke Ono and being a veteran seiyuu, I liked how he sound more mature and calm compared to his voice as Sebastian. It's tough being a seiyuu but he is one of the few that I really like. 

Give this show a try, a slow anime with some comical relief compared to the current shounen, mahou, sports anime. If you ever feel irritated or agitated, watch Barakamon! It calms you down!



12. Rokujousama no shinryukusha
Harem. I don't like harem but since this anime has a unique plot, I decided to give it a try. It kind of slowly blow me away after Satomi meets the ghost in his room and while fighting, a mahou shoujo joined the fight, followed by underground people, princess, princess tutor, and finally the landlady. It was so chaotic I just sat in my chair speechless and everything feels like hidan no aria. If you like unique plots and don't mind harem, try this anime! It is definitely worth a try.

13. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Expecting romance? Nope, 100% comedy.


You have the main guy, Nozaki, who is an honest man but nobody trusts him because of his poker face. He is a popular mangaka and has no intention of concealing his identity. No one believes him. Best of all, he mirrors his character's gender in the manga and you will be so amused during the process of his "character watching". You will meet lots of flamboyant characters who either make you go whoooo, ahhhh, wtffffff, ewwwwww, and then you laugh A LOT.

This is a totally different kind of slice of life and shoujo manga which I strongly encourage people to watch because it's just so funny. But of course, if you're the dude who has no sense of humor and only prefer serious plots then this series is not for you.


14. Glasslip
-to be filled-

15. Nobunaga Concerto
- to be filled-

16. Bakumatsu Rock
-to be filled-




Non-Japanese:


Legend of Korra Book 3
This can be counted as Summer animation, right? Heehee.

I've been watching the Avatar series since the last air bender and I didn't like Korra's arc because Korra's stupid and she fucks everything up. I also didn't like how they tried to modernized everything in the show with 21st century slangs when the setting of Republic City is not the 21st century. And the whole romance between Korra-Mako-Asami. It was weird but since she's Aang's successor, i thought i should just persist.

So the first book was about Korra trying to be an Avatar, book 2 was about her trying to do her job as an avatar by setting things right. The third book is about the Air nomads (so far). Since book1 is fire, 2 is about water, Book 3's probably on earth.

I thought book 2 ended pretty well so I didn't expect a book 3. Book 3's pretty badass where you have four elite assassins trying to kill Korra and turn all the elements upside down. I also think book 3 touches a lot on Earth, between Lin and Suyin. There were crazy revelations so far like how Toph slept with 2 men and Tenzin and Lin maybe step brothers, Korra and Asami being best girlfriends despite being Mako's ex's.

However, what I like about Book 3 is Zuko, YES FIRE LORD ZUKO appearing on his red dragon in random episodes and he's still cool as ever. He looks more like Uncle iroh though, a more stern and skinnier version. I know my reason is not enough to justify why I like book 3 but i think it's the most badass book in Korra series. I am only up till episode 5 and I like how meelo takes charge of air training and he is such a cute little dork. You may or may not want to watch Book 3, but if you ever do, i will tell you to skip the first book.

No comments:

Post a Comment